Video 11: How to Set-up Call Recording
This video instructs operators and administrators of your phone system on how to setup and administer call recording. Call recording on your PBX allows operators of the phone system to record calls, and administrators of the phone system to set call recording rules.
1. Browse to FreePBX admin > Select “Admin” drop down menu > Select “Feature Codes” module
- Under the “Core” section
- Note “in-Call Asterisk Toggle Call Recording” text field default value “*1”
- Entering *1 will allow an operator to record a call if the checkbox is checked, and it has been “Enabled” from the drop down
2. “Applications” drop down menu > Select “Extensions” > Select one of the extensions you have created (right side of screen). This will allow you to set recording options at the extension level.
- Selections you make in the “Recording Options” section of the “Extensions” module indicate the different states of recording a call for this extension.
- For example, “Inbound External Calls” select “Always”, “Don’t Care”, or “Never” to allow operators who receive inbound external calls on this extension the ability to record a call.
- Select different recording options for each of the respective types of calls “Outbound External Calls”, “Inbound Internal Calls”, “Outbound Internal Calls” to place restriction on, or to allow the operator of this extension the ability to record calls.
3. “Connectivity” drop down menu > Select “Inbound Routes” > Select the test inbound route you created (right side of screen). This will allow you to set recording options at the inbound route level.
- “Call Recording” selection default value is set to “Allow” for this inbound route.
- Select your preference for call recording on this inbound route by choosing “Allow”, “Record on Answer”, “Record immediately”, or “Never”.
4. “Connectivity” drop down menu > Select “Outbound Routes”> Select an outbound route (right side screen). This will allow you to set recording options at the outbound route level.
- Under “Additional Settings” section default value is set to “Allow” for this outbound route.
- Select your preference for call recording on this outbound route by choosing “Allow”, “Record on Answer”, “Record immediately”, or “Never”.
5. “Reports” drop down menu > Select “CDR Reports” module. This will allow you to retrieve, download, and listen to the recorded calls.
You can also listen to recorded calls from your server at DigitalOcean by using SSH, SCP, or SFTP, etc. The easiest way though is to use the CDR menu, which we will discuss in a separate video. The operators on your phone system should now be able to record calls by dialing *1 and you should understand how to set call recording preferences for different routes and extensions on your phone system.
What is call Recording?
Allows users of the phone system to track and review call recording logs, which include the ability to listen to the recorded conversation. Call recording permissions can vary depend on administration or management preferences.